Hello everyone.
Recently I received my Impl Doll Star Gloria, in pink skin, that I ordered back in January. I thought I'd make a review of my experience, and also a body comparison with my two April Story bodies.
Gloria sits on the IMPLDoll Star SGB body, in pink skin. The quality of the resin is nice and smooth, she is a pleasure to hold. Aesthetic wise, I think that the torso is a bit too big for the head and legs. It is not disproportionate or unrealistic, in fact it is more realistic than my other SDs, but for my tastes, I wish it was a bit smaller.
Warning for doll nudity
I know that both Star and Idol bodies share the same torso, and on the Idol it looks more in place.
The hands are very detailed and delicate. The feet are just ok, but offer a lot of stability.
As for the head and faceup, I think it is one of my absolute favorites ever. The shape of the sculpt is extremely cute. She is pretty, but not model perfect pretty, as her jaw is disproportionately smaller than her nose, and this creates a very human and realistic asymmetry. The faceup is absolutely perfect.
For posing and comparison, I am pitting her against my other two SDs, April Story Senior Girl and AS Classy Doll S Senior Body.
The IMPLDOLL body has not been sueded and has not been restrung
The AS Senior Girl body has been sueded on the hips, torso, ankles, arm joints and has been restrung*
The AS Classy Doll S Senior body has been sueded on the hips, torso, ankles, arm joints and has been restrung tightly*
*I am aware that the AS bodies have a different stringing system. I've tried stringing them both the original April Story way and the normal BJD way. I have not seen any differences.
Standing:
IMPLDoll Stands like a rock. You just place her, and she stands. AS Senior has more difficulty standing. It is doable, but takes some tweaking. AS Classy Doll is very difficult to deal with in general. I don't know if I am doing something extremely wrong, but her legs keep turning in and she falls allover the place.
Sitting with legs forward. IMPLDoll and AS Senior can do it. Classy doll too, but looks awkward af, because her lower legs hover in the air.
Price Comparison: IMPL Star Costs 280$, AS Senior is currently (and probably forever, until discontinued) at 270$ and offers a free head as a gift. The Classy Doll S is discontinued but you could get the M Type for 450$.
Obviously, the April Story Senior Body is the cheapest option, especially if you consider the free head, and for me, it is more aesthetically pleasing than the IMPLDoll body.
However if you are in the EU, like me, and you need to factor shipping and customs, IMPLDoll ends up being the cheapest choice, since you can purchase it from a European dealer. IMPL is also a much more reliable company to deal with in general.
Still, even if that is not the case, it gets a bit tiring when you try to play with the AS body, and it resists so much.
So especially if you like the aesthetic of IMPLDoll more, it is hands down the best choice.
As for Classy doll, unless you can find it cheaper second hand somewhere and don't mind your doll not being able to pose at all, I really wouldn't recommend it.
Recently I received my Impl Doll Star Gloria, in pink skin, that I ordered back in January. I thought I'd make a review of my experience, and also a body comparison with my two April Story bodies.
Gloria sits on the IMPLDoll Star SGB body, in pink skin. The quality of the resin is nice and smooth, she is a pleasure to hold. Aesthetic wise, I think that the torso is a bit too big for the head and legs. It is not disproportionate or unrealistic, in fact it is more realistic than my other SDs, but for my tastes, I wish it was a bit smaller.
Warning for doll nudity
I know that both Star and Idol bodies share the same torso, and on the Idol it looks more in place.
As for the head and faceup, I think it is one of my absolute favorites ever. The shape of the sculpt is extremely cute. She is pretty, but not model perfect pretty, as her jaw is disproportionately smaller than her nose, and this creates a very human and realistic asymmetry. The faceup is absolutely perfect.
For posing and comparison, I am pitting her against my other two SDs, April Story Senior Girl and AS Classy Doll S Senior Body.
The IMPLDOLL body has not been sueded and has not been restrung
The AS Senior Girl body has been sueded on the hips, torso, ankles, arm joints and has been restrung*
The AS Classy Doll S Senior body has been sueded on the hips, torso, ankles, arm joints and has been restrung tightly*
*I am aware that the AS bodies have a different stringing system. I've tried stringing them both the original April Story way and the normal BJD way. I have not seen any differences.
Standing:
IMPLDoll Stands like a rock. You just place her, and she stands. AS Senior has more difficulty standing. It is doable, but takes some tweaking. AS Classy Doll is very difficult to deal with in general. I don't know if I am doing something extremely wrong, but her legs keep turning in and she falls allover the place.
| From Left to Right: IMPLDOLL Star Gloria, FPL60 Nanuri on AS Senior Girl Body, FPL60 Rin on Classy Doll S Body |
Sitting: Impldoll can sit naturally. The knee joints look a bit awkward but if she was restrung it wouldn't be this way. The AS Senior cannot sit unless you dislodge her legs at the hip joints and even in that case, she sits like picture below. The classy doll can sit, but again her lower legs cross when she does.
Sitting on legs: IMPLDoll and AS Senior can do it. Classy doll cannot sit on her legs at all.
Obviously, the April Story Senior Body is the cheapest option, especially if you consider the free head, and for me, it is more aesthetically pleasing than the IMPLDoll body.
However if you are in the EU, like me, and you need to factor shipping and customs, IMPLDoll ends up being the cheapest choice, since you can purchase it from a European dealer. IMPL is also a much more reliable company to deal with in general.
Still, even if that is not the case, it gets a bit tiring when you try to play with the AS body, and it resists so much.
So especially if you like the aesthetic of IMPLDoll more, it is hands down the best choice.
As for Classy doll, unless you can find it cheaper second hand somewhere and don't mind your doll not being able to pose at all, I really wouldn't recommend it.

No comments:
Post a Comment